Friday, June 09, 2006

Why I Hate One of the Most Popular Sports in America


NASCAR, stock car racing, the fastest growing sport in America. It has grown from near obscurity 10 years ago to widespread popularity today. I’m not here to argue, like some, that NASCAR, Indy car racing, or anything similar isn’t a sport. It most certainly is a sport, it requires as much skill, training, dedication, and physical prowess as basketball, baseball, soccer, whatever. Driving a car, we all do it everyday, but it’s no where near the level that these guys/gals do, my hat if off.

I am here however to argue that NASCAR, in my opinion, is above all else BORING.

“But d0od do you see how fast they’re going, its crazy!!’

Yes, we all know they drive very fast and that’s cool. But I want everyone to think way way back to eight grade physics class. What’s the first thing that you learn? It’s that speed and the way you recognize it is relative to the surroundings that you see. This means that if I’m watching NASCAR on T.V, I could be looking at cars going 200 miles per hour or I could be looking at cars going 20 miles per hour, I have no idea. Now if there were cars driving 200 mph and then throw in me going about 65 in my Jetta, there’s some interesting television for you.

And lose the whole circle thing, throw in some jumps and include wild animals somehow, maybe then I’ll watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home